The Library houses just over 90 carrels. Almost all of them are wired with electrical connections and provide eye bolts to be used along with security cables and locks to deter theft. Unassigned carrels may be used by anyone on a daily basis.
Carrel assignments are for the academic year (both Fall and Spring semesters) unless the student no longer meets the criteria for having an assigned carrel. Library materials may not be left in assigned carrels unless the material is checked out to the person assigned to that carrel. For information about carrel availability, please ask at the Circulation Desk.View Carrel Assignments Timeline
- First week of Fall semester:
- Tutors: Each course tutor is assigned a carrel in the learning commons collaborative zone on the lower floor at the beginning of Fall and Spring semesters. These carrels provide tutors a space to meet with their students. On occasion there are more tutors than available carrels in the collaborative zone. When this happens the overflow is assigned space elsewhere on the lower floor. If tutors choose to forego a lower floor carrel in favor of one on the upper floor then they will not be able to use the carrel to meet with students and must find another place for those meetings.
- Research Assistants: RAs are assigned carrels on a first-come, first-served basis during the first week of Fall semester. If an RA is hired later in the school year they should inquire at the Circulation Desk about carrel availability.
- Second week of Fall semester: Remaining carrels are available for assignment to 3L students on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Third week of Fall semester: Remaining carrels are available for assignment to 1Ls, 2Ls, and MSLs on a first-come, first-served basis.
- UNM School of Law December and May graduates who are studying for the bar exam qualify for a carrel upon submission of a carrel request form.
Open CarrelsFour carrels, located on the lower floor near the pro se materials, are permanently identified as “open.” No personal items, research, or library materials may be left in open carrels. The open carrels are cleared out each night.